[geeks] 8-bit hardware

Shannon Hendrix shannon.roam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 04:20:35 CDT 2018

I have been trying for some time to find: Apple IIe, Apple IIgs, Commodore
128 or 128d.

I plan to actually use them, and do a little bit of nostalgic relearning of
how to program them.

Unfortunately I seem to live in an area where they just don't show up in
thrift stores, recycling, or otherwise.

If anyone has some of that gear and doesn't need theirs, I would like to
talk with you about liberating it.

Finished Project (almost)
============

I got an Atari 800XL and an Ultimate 1MB upgrade. This board combined with
my flash drive cartridge gives me a faster OS, virtually unlimited hard
drive space, and the ability to load pretty much any OS ROM I want.
Unfortunately I didn't get a Hong Kong built Atari, which means it has a
soldered motherboard. I had to desolder the 28-pin OS ROM and nearly burned
it up, but it works well.

Next upgrade for the 800XL will be to replace the graphics with VGA
graphics, which also includes a clone of the Atari's GTIA. Gives you speed,
80 columns, and other goodies. But, this will require me to find an 8-bit
Atari made with socketed motherboard.

Its really amazing to fire up the Atari in 2018 and actually use it to
write something, 35 years after you got it.

--
Shannon