[geeks] Poweredge 1800 hackery

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu May 11 09:21:19 CDT 2017

On 05/11/17 10:10, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Likely just proprietary enough to be annoying.
>
> Dell Custom-designed the chassis and MB, while it would be nice if they stuck
> to industry-standards, I doubt they did.

In fact, Dell has a long history of doing things like using physically
interchangeable motherboard power connectors but with a different enough
pinout to destroy a 'standard' motherboard connected to it...  I can
only assume the intent was to FORCE the average to either gut the
machine completely, or go to Dell for parts.  "Oh, by the way, good luck
finding an off-the-shelf power supply that will fit."

I've investigated a couple of times repurposing salvaged Dell cases, and
decided each time that it was cheaper and easier to just throw the
cursed thing away.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications