[geeks] Poweredge 1800 hackery

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu May 11 02:19:07 CDT 2017

Hi,

Do we have any Dell geeks on the list? I have just acquired an end of life
Poweredge 1800 server and was wondering what the prospects were like for
shoehorningb in a better board.

It has twin redundant PSUs and the power connector *looks* like a standard
ATX 24-pin, but apparently the purple wire is in a different spot according
to online research.

The mainboard looks relatively standard and the steel backplane finisher
comes out with the board (good news as it saves dremelling the port panel
out).

What I don't know is if the motherboard uses standard EATX mounts and how
it supports the CPU heatsink mounts.

The board I was looking at is a Supermicro Socket 771 board, for which I
have RAM and CPUs on hand.

Likely to work or are these things just proprietary enough to be annoying?

Thanks,

--

Mark