[geeks] Mac Pro 1,1 CPU Upgrade - failure?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 15:25:38 CST 2017

On 03/01/2017 18:49, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> Can't remember if this has been discussed - when you swap in the new CPUs,
> do the new CPUs have matched steppings? In the case of the X5355 for
> instance, there are three different steppings, and you can determine which
> one a CPU has based on the S-Spec code:

I deliberately bough 4 SLAEG stepping chips for that very reason (I
checked the ones I fitted visually from the etching on the IHS), they
are matched and the most power efficient.

Besides all that the problem still manifests itself (eventually) with
the original X5130 CPUs as supplied in the machine from the factory so I
don't think stepping mismatch is the issue.

--

Mark Benson
twitter.com/MDBenson