[geeks] QNAP review

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 6 15:31:43 CDT 2016

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> I have a couple of 2-bay NAS units, one QNAP and one Synology, that
>> I'll have up for sale soon (with no drives).  Finally bit the bullet
>> and built an 8-drive FreeNAS/NAS4Free box.
>>
>> https://www.mrbill.net/nasbuild/
>
> No ECC ram or motherboard?  I thought that was highly recommended for
> ZFS.

It's recommended for servers in general or any computer that can make
adequate use of it, IMO.

If you don't have ECC memory, ZFS will at least protect you against
certain sorts of failures that a drifted bit can cause.  However, if the
bit's drifted before the block is checksummed on the way out, ZFS will
happily certify bad data.

Any other filesystem will do the same thing; ZFS will just do it with an
authoritative air.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX