[geeks] Mac Pro 1,1 CPU Upgrade - failure?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Dec 12 13:51:35 CST 2016

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016, Mark Benson wrote:

> As I said, both CPU types *look* physically identical (IHS and all), which is
> why I'm baffled.
>
> I believe, if you're super careful you can remove the IHS off an Intel CPU.

Some yes, some no.  Some are merely held to the substrate by a resin-like
gasket around the edges and a thermal adhesive on the die.  You can X-acto
through it and pop the IHS right off with a little bit of heat and
twisting.

Others have the IHS soldered to the die.  Some SKUs are all one way or the
other.  Some you can only tell once you try to pop the IHS off, provided
you don't try _too_ hard.  I killed an X5670 this way. :(

> TBH removing the IHS is one of those horrible tricks Apple are prone to
> to stop people upgrading their systems. I'm starting to thing that this
> heatsink thing might be another, but so many people put 5355s and 5365s
> in Mac Pro 1,1 models that this can't be something unassailable, surely?

I think it's only the MacPro4,1 and MacPro5,1 dual-socket models that have
the IHS removed.  My single-socket MacPro5,1 has the IHS attached to the
CPU package, and the older MacPro1,1 I had before it had the IHS installed
on both packages.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX