[geeks] Mac Pro 1,1 CPU Upgrade - failure?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 12:05:35 CST 2016

On 11/12/2016 20:50, Nick B wrote:
> I didn't mean to offend.

None taken. It's just something really obvious :)

> I looked into replacing the CPUs in a mac pro,
> found this out, and eventually gave up, unable to find a source for non-IHS
> cpus, or a reliable method of ensuring good heatsink contact with the wrong
> kind of CPU installed, which sounds exactly like the issues you face.

As I said, both CPU types *look* physically identical (IHS and all),
which is why I'm baffled.

I believe, if you're super careful you can remove the IHS off an Intel
CPU. They are from the looks of it bonded at the edges and onto the die
in the middle using a conductive compound. Don't quote me on it but
there are a lot of Google images of people who've removed them, so I
guess it might be doable?

TBH removing the IHS is one of those horrible tricks Apple are prone to
to stop people upgrading their systems. I'm starting to thing that this
heatsink thing might be another, but so many people put 5355s and 5365s
in Mac Pro 1,1 models that this can't be something unassailable, surely?

I'm stil musing over that CPU-A heatsink not making proper surface
contact. I'm gonna try using engineers blue or something to see where
the contact is and isn't making on the top of the CPUs and then see if I
can determine if it's the heatsinks or the CPU IHS that's out of whack.

Other than that, I guess I'll keep on looking for ideas.

--

Mark Benson
twitter.com/MDBenson