[geeks] Recapping a Mac IIci

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 09:17:11 CST 2016

Hi,

I pulled my Mac IIci out of storage this week only to find, sadly, all
the electrolytic caps have spewed on it.

I'd like to know if there's anywhere I can gamble on sending the board,
getting it cleaned up and recapped, and having it sent back. I'm
semi-hopeful as it's not had a battery on the board most of it's life so
  there's no battery leakage, and the corrosion looks relatively localised.

Short and long if it is I can't do it myself, as my hands aren't steady
enough (medical) and I have no SMTY soldering experience or a good
enough iron. I'm pretty crap at soldering anyway, frankly.

I'd *like* to revive it as it had a full deck of cards in including a
Daystar 040 accelerator, 10/100 LAN card, Radius Thunder IV GX 1600
graphics board and a ATTO SEIV SCSI card. It was my favourite 68k desktop.

Thankfully my SE/30 (which was recapped 10 years ago) still works fine
in spite of not being turned on in ages.

So, any suggestions are welcome. Recapped machines/boards are rare and
expensive, seemingly, but I confess I haven't looked that hard.

--

Mark Benson