[geeks] Ahmed, the accidental terrorist?

Rjtoegel rjtoegel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:15:09 CDT 2015

Actually, if he or his father used the word invent, it does matter.  It's
called a lie.  Yeah, the kid has some tech skills but that seems to be blown
out of proportion.  I do feel there was a bit of an over reaction, like being
arrested, unless they determined that it was made as a practical joke but that
is pretty flimsy.  I just feel sorry for those students who have done more
than put a clock in a pencil box and have gotten far less than this kid.
Don't forget, in these paranoid times, if it looks like it could be a bomb,
you must report it or your butt is on the line.  In many districts, this is in
your job description.

Bob

On Sep 19, 2015, at 13:21, Dr Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu> wrote:

> Here we go. I didn't think it would take long for the smear campaign to
start and it didn't. A smart kid builds something and wants to show it off so
he takes it to school to show his teachers. It doesn't matter if he repackaged
an existing clock, built it from a kit, or designed it himself. The key point
is that he did something technically oriented. Most engineering schools
require a course is disassembling an existing product to learn how and why it
designed the way it was. If he repackaged an existing clock, he merely did
what freshman engineering students are required to do. Rather than being
punished for his curosity, he should have been praised

> Hopefully the parents will sue the police officers and chief and the mayor
into bankruptcy. Please note not the city of Irvine, nor its insurance
company, but rather the officers, chief and mayor personally. Until these
clowns can no longer hide behind their office this kind of bullshit won't
stop.