[geeks] Sun 3/4/6800 System Board PROM question

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue Sep 1 03:00:41 CDT 2015

I could be 100% wrong. Much of my memory here is fading.

I'm almost certain you CANNOT move CPUs among the boards, only memory.
I don't think these boards have a PROM that you can move/remove.

http://www.shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_SunFire_USIIICu.html#OPTIONS

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 3:03 PM, JP Hindin <jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com> wrote:
> I've been working on bringing a Sun 6800 back into service over the last two
> weeks (hobby, not commercial) and managed to finally get everything up,
> working and Solaris installed yesterday, which was pretty satisfying.
>
> I have a mix of System Boards for it - a bunch of uSPARC IVs and a pair of
> uSPARC IIIs, which you cannot mix in the same domain. Alas one of the IV
> boards has a bad PROM and so it won't pass POST.
>
> I have two questions:
> Is the PROM on the System Board replacable? I couldn't even _find it_.
>
> If not, is there a different between the III and IV System Boards? Can I
> just pop the 1200mHz IVs off the board with the bad PROM and drop them into
> the III board, or do the later processors require a later revision of SB?
>
> Thanks!
>
>  - JP

-Jon
+32 0 486 260 686