[geeks] Testing a new hard drive...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 09:38:21 CDT 2015

My warranty point was for after you 'accept' the drive and it subsequently
fails once pulled from spares bin.

How was the drive packed? Was it in an anti-static bag, shoved inside a
'bubble pack' or was it in a retail box w/ plastic end caps? Was drive
packaging damaged or was postal packing (outer box, bag, etc.) damaged?

I've had items delivered and left out in the rain, the outer box was soaked,
but electronics inside was still dry inside shrink wrap. It pissed me off, but
all items were fine.

Lionel

> On Oct 8, 2015, at 8:12 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks.
>
> I wasn't going to warranty it, as it would have been transit damage -
> not WD's problem - I was going to return it as goods unfit for purpose
> to the supplier. I figure if it passes the SMART test it'll be okay.
> It's not like I'm putting iti in a mission critical server or
> anything.
>
> --
>
> Mark Benson
>
>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> I would think DBAN would be a reasonable exercise of a disk drive since
will
>> repeatedly write to every sector on the platter.
>>
>> Also, if you submit the drive for a replacement under warranty the
replacement
>> drive comes from the manufacturer, not the retailer.
>>
>> Lionel
>>
>>> On Oct 8, 2015, at 4:04 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just received delivery of a 500GB WD Black hard drive from a supplier
I'm
>>> not planning to use again. I think it's polite to say the packaging was
in
>>> a poor state when it arrived.
>>>
>>> I only needed it as a service spare (I got a Black for the 5 yr warranty)
>>> so it's not urgently required but would like to assure myself it's okay,
>>> before storing it.
>>>
>>> Suggestions? Do I test it then store it if it's okay or kick off and get
it
>>> replaced (beating in mind they'll probably send the replacement the same