[geeks] FreeBSD Laptop

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 09:27:49 CDT 2015

UX303There are some high-res laptops out there, but new they tend to hover
close to $1,000 new, and are too new to be available on the used market yet.

Asus Zenbook UX305 is a very nice looking system (i7, 8 Gig RAM, 256 Gig
SSD)for just under $800:

http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX305FA/

Asus has a similar quad HD notebook, the UX303 for about $1,200 with some very
nice specs (i7, 12 Gig RAM, 256 Gig SSD, touchscreen):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KTL21RA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1426083643&sr=8-3
&keywords=ux305&dpPl=1&dpID=41qFrS3revL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40#

FreeBSD compatibility for either is unknown.

Hope this helps,

Lionel

Ken
> On Mar 11, 2015, at 12:22 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
>
> I bought a second hand HP Elitebook 8540W for $275, added a 240GB SSD I had
bought but never used.

> Got the external, 2nd battery for it, so battery life is (not sure) about 5
hours or more, depending on various factors.

> Has decent trackpad plus the mouse nub (like the red nub on a ThinkPad).
>
> Probably not the lightest, but I got an earlier-gen i7 and maxed it to 8GB
RAM. Zippy enough.

> Screen is 1920x1080 .
>
> I can ask a local guy who refurbs laptops if he has another for you, or
something similar, if you want details ask off-list.