[geeks] Android Work Processor & other apps

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 16 19:17:35 CDT 2015

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, hike wrote:

> What is a good writing program on Android?
>  - I am only downloading apps from Google play
>  - I use LibreOffice on other platforms and Pages on the Mac.

Microsoft Office Mobile is (expectedly) resource-heavy, but worked fairly
well when I tried it last.  LibreOffice for Android has been in beta for
almost two years; I don't have a lot of faith in it becoming a viable
program because of the near-impossibility of sharing code between the
native-code projects and the Android project.

I gave up on using a mobile for content creation; my laptop is portable
enough.

> What is a good "note" program?
>  - "Notes" on the Mac

Google Keep is pretty good.  There isn't really an analog to "Notes,"
which can store your notes on your mail server; Keep is tied to the Google
mothership.

> How to upgrade to Android 5.x?
>  - Dell doesn't seem to have the upgrade

One of the most annoying things about Android is that you have to get
upgrades from the OEM (or one of the enthusiast groups who release "Custom
ROMs").  OEMs are more interested in selling you a new device than they
are in doing the engineering work to upgrade devices that have already
shipped.

> What is a good PDF reader?
>  - I use Goodreader on iOS devices

Google PDF Viewer isn't bad, but Kindle can work with PDFs under 50MB,
too.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "Right now, computers, which are supposed to be our
Elgin, TX         |  servant, are oppressing us."