[geeks] cheap, secure wifi router?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Thu Dec 17 02:39:06 CST 2015

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:38:10 -0600, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 05:05:34PM -0500, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> > i've been wifi-free up to now, on security and privacy grounds, but now
> > i have - or rather my gf/so/dp has - a device for which wifi is the
> > only way to access the internet, so now i need a wifi router.
> > 'secure' suggests one which can be loaded with one of the
> > 'aftermarket' linux builds, but is that compatible with 'cheap'?
> > range isn't a problem; 20' would be a stretch, and the less the better
> > for security.
> > any suggestions?  what's out there?
>
> I've been happy with some of the sub-$50 TP-Link stuff that can have OpenWRT
> loaded.

I concur with Bill here and I also buy TP-link that I then flash with
OpenWRT.

However, I have found it interesting that one of my colleagues buys
Ubiquiti Unifi for his home - he claims it gives him easy management
and fine control of individual users (ie. block the kids from wifi
until they've done their homework).

Cheers,
Jonathan
--