[geeks] Resiting Ethernet Cabinet

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 05:18:55 CST 2015

Hi,

We need to resite a network cabinet about 3m down a room so we can take out
a block wall between 2 office spaces. It has:

- 16 incoming Cat5e lines from wall sockets to a IDC patch panel
- 8 patch leads in to the switch from the servers sited across the room
(run out on a cable track)
- Fibre link to other building
- Mains in

The 8 to the servers aren't an issue as we are moving it above those (or
that's my bosses current plan) and so they will reach with ease.

The fibre also tuns past the new site so we can just rejig it and resite
the termination box (carefully).

The mains is a non issue also.

The 16 drops from the office to the IDC patch panel *are* an issue. If we
move it where they plan to, the wiring is physically too short, so I need
options to join on extra cable, potentially buried in an indoor ceiling
cavity.

Best I can come up with is 16 of these:

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat5e-accessories/1963-cat6-inline-idc-coupler-box.html

And 50m of Cat6 to extend the drops (about 3m each).

I don't know if it's possible to get multi-cable versions of those?

Anyone got any other good ideas on this? I have about 24-48 hours to sort
it out (timescale is super tight and at a shitty time of year for getting
parts delivered).

Thanks,

--

Mark