[geeks] cheap, secure wifi router?

Dan Duncan danduncan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 01:51:32 CST 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
wrote:

> i've been wifi-free up to now, on security and privacy grounds, but now
> i have - or rather my gf/so/dp has - a device for which wifi is the
> only way to access the internet, so now i need a wifi router.
> 'secure' suggests one which can be loaded with one of the
> 'aftermarket' linux builds, but is that compatible with 'cheap'?
> range isn't a problem; 20' would be a stretch, and the less the better
> for security.
>
> any suggestions?  what's out there?

Hit your local Goodwill and see what they have and use your smartphone to
check if it will run DD-WRT or openwrt.  Then plug it in, wait for the
lights to go green, and again use your smartphone to see if the wifi on it
shows up.  If so, buy it.

You can probably cover this for under $10.

For a while I was snagging Linksys WRT-54G routers when I found them.
Eventually 802.11N models started showing up so I've upgraded all of mine.
I'd be happy to send you a WRT-54G for shipping costs if 802.11G will fit
your needs.  It will probably have the Tomato firmware on it which works
amazingly well and I would still be using that firmware if it worked on my
newer units.

--
Dan Duncan