[geeks] cheap, secure wifi router?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Dec 14 22:43:19 CST 2015

> i've been wifi-free up to now, on security and privacy grounds, but
> now i have - or rather my gf/so/dp has - a device for which wifi is
> the only way to access the internet, so now i need a wifi router.

Perhaps, but I see no reason to think `wifi' and `router' have to be in
the same box.  (You may want them so, but I see no clear statement of
that if so.)  Personally, I'd use a general-purpose computer with a
wireless interface configured as an AP (whether built in or added on is
of little import).

> 'secure' suggests one which can be loaded with one of the
> 'aftermarket' linux builds, but is that compatible with 'cheap'?

Actually, `secure' makes me immediately ask `secure against what?'.
Passive snooping?  Non-malicious leeching of connectivity (neighbour
freeloading or the like)?  Malicious leeching of connectivity
(spamming, attacking other hosts, etc)?  Attempts to steal established
connections?

How easy it is to get a suitably secure system out of a given design
may well depend on the threat model.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org