[geeks] rescue Digest, Vol 157, Issue 6

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Dec 4 10:34:51 CST 2015

" From: Fred <fred at MISER.MISERNET.NET>
"
" Yep - that's the word.  Being directly involved (read: in the crosshairs)
" of said situation was how shall I say ... interesting.  I still shake my
" head at some of the shenanigans that went down.  The interesting part is
" it usually takes "normal" people awhile to figure out that their leader is
" a sociopath, and by that time the damage is already done.

any of y'all read machiavelli's 'the prince'?  he gets a bad rap, but
my reaction was, that's the way it is in bureacracies where power is
to be had - governments, corporations, churches.  the weapons change,
but the dynamic is the same.  smart sociopaths do well at
organizational politics.  [<cough>congresscritters<cough>]

" Regarding the Wal-Mart comment (which I fully agree with and have read
" articles describing such) - I'm not one to say "there ought to be a law"
" but what is the fix?  For whatever reason, even if some people think
" "That doesn't seem right ..." (large) companies will continue to get away
" with all they can because "Hey, it's legal.".   What's the fix?  (being a
" technology person, not being able to come up with a fix rubs me the wrong
" way ...)

it's way beyond 'hey, it's legal' - wall street crashed our economy
and negotiated the penalties down to change they could find down the
back of their executive sofas.  culpable execs were barred from
receiving bonuses for a year.  they got double bonuses the following
year.

small penalties are just part of the cost of doing business,
especially if you can get someone else to pay them.  lawyers are for
negotiating large penalties down to small ones.

" Similar to what I read in earlier posts - make the minimum wage $15?
" Great!  Folks just want to work less because even at $15 it seemingly
" benefits them "more" to stay on assistance.  I don't have a fix here,
" either.

phil's answer to this is excellent.

i suspect that the number of folks who really are welfare deadbeats at
heart is only a small fraction of the number trapped in the system, as
phil was.