[geeks] HP CrapRAID problem

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:41:52 CDT 2014

On 20 Oct 2014 13:56, "hike" <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have the authority, return the server to the supplier and get one
> with a hardware raid.  It sounds like the sales gal sold you the wrong
> product.

Possible, but this machine isn't slated for production, ultimately. Any
whole server they offered would be over budget, most likely. It'd likely be
better to throw a p420i card in it, which will work with the onboard
SmartArray utility. That's still gonna be an ouch tho, money wise.

Others:

Option 3 seems like a no-go (install debian kernel module during install)
as the driver isn't tested or supported. That makes me think it's buggy.
Also, I have no idea if kernel upgrades will go smoothly.

I actually like the idea of Software RAID and being able to yank the disks
and bring them up elsewhere (likely my Microserver) as the 310e has no
redundant PSUs so a PSU failure would leave the server dead but the disks
usable. Always plan around the weakest points, right?

I've never pulled up a SoftRAID in Linux. I need LVM for VM storage, so
what's the best avenue?

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog