[geeks] Virtualization Smackdown

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Sun Oct 19 12:59:33 CDT 2014

On 10/17/2014 04:15 PM, Mike Meredith wrote:
> "Lightweight virtual machines"[1] do (as mentioned) tend to run at full
> i/o speed. Could be a little clunky to set up (at least lxc was at the
> time), but rock solid ever since.

Full virtualization doesn't hurt I/O speed all that much.  The overheads
are extremely small. I'm not concerned about performance.

The great thing about containers is deployment time.  An LXC/Docker
container is just a regular Linux process, and it doesn't take much more
time to start than any other process.  It's 0.2 seconds on my decrepit
home desktop.

I can start and stop a hundred containers in a build pipeline and not
sweat it a bit.