[geeks] Virtualization Smackdown

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Oct 17 15:15:42 CDT 2014

On Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:24:15 -0400 (EDT), Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> First, the highest performance you will get, is from OpenVZ -
> provided you can live with its limitations.

Not familiar with OpenVZ, but I've been using Linux
Containers/LXC/Docker myself ever since a T1000 with a bunch of zones
blew up and I had to replace it in a hurry[0].

Took about half an afternoon to get up to speed with LXC and a morning
to get two DNS slaves up and running.

"Lightweight virtual machines"[1] do (as mentioned) tend to run at full
i/o speed. Could be a little clunky to set up (at least lxc was at the
time), but rock solid ever since.

I've got access to ESX in spades at $work, but unless I need Windows,
my test machines are most likely to be containers.

0: Over one Xmas one of $work's internet reachable DNS slaves was a
   Debian vmachine running under VirtualBox on my laptop. Not an ideal
   solution, but it allowed us to limp by. Also a great excuse for not
   turning up to meetings: "Sorry, my laptop is in the data centre
   running our DNS."

1: A phrase I've used to explain containers to those whose neck ties
   have been cutting off the blood supply to the brain.