[geeks] Virtualization Smackdown

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Wed Oct 15 12:09:13 CDT 2014

On 15 October 2014 14:14, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Were/are your. Xen VMs linux paravirtualised instances or full VMs?
> I've played a bit with debian PVMs on Xen but not anything further. My big
> stumbling block with Xen is management. CLI is fine while I can remember
> what I'm doing, but it'd be more handy to visualise with a web or desktop
> GUI.

PV, though for the latest CentOS install it was easiest to create an HVM
install, boot and install the standard ISO via vnc/ssh and then just switch
to PV and reboot. Keep a copy of any given OS install and clone as needed

I confess I just treat the xen box as if it was 9 servers in a rack with a
gateway box, so I almost never see the interface - if I want to reboot a VM
I just mosh into it and type reboot :)

I keep a reference cfg file for PV and one for HVM installs, one directory
full of live cfg files and another full of disk images, all named sanely
(for me :) and about the only commands I use are 'xl list', 'xl top', 'xl
create <file>' and 'xl console'