[geeks] "Expanded Universe" of Star Wars, LOTR, etc.

Nicolai nicolai-geeks at chocolatine.org
Sat Nov 29 11:58:01 CST 2014

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 12:41:15PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:

> It's a big shame Disney felt it necessary to bulldoze the EU into the
> 'non-canon' pile earlier in the year in preparation for Episode VII. While
> under LucasFilms' direct control, most EU books and works were actually
> considered 'soft' canon, even if some works were slightly less well
> respected than others.

Agreed, but for me I consider the EU to be full canon -- that's how I
enjoy the stories.  They are well-written, reasonably consistent, and
faithful to the Star Wars universe.  No other criteria matter to me.

The only problem is if Disney's position causes the Star Wars universe
to stop expanding through tighter control, which would only make SW fade
more quickly than it would otherwise.  "The more you tighten your grip,
Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."  This is
what's happening to LOTR now IMO, which seems to be turning into Mirkwood.

Nicolai