[geeks] "Expanded Universe" of Star Wars, LOTR, etc.

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 06:41:15 CST 2014

On 29/11/2014 04:55, Nicolai wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> As many know, Star Wars, Star Trek, and probably other sagas have a
> catalog of "expanded universe" stories written by 3rd party authors.

There's a massive amount of expanded universe (EU) story and information
material in books, comics, video games etc. I'm a huge fan of Bioware's
'Old Republic' era video games and the stories they weave.

It's a big shame Disney felt it necessary to bulldoze the EU into the
'non-canon' pile earlier in the year in preparation for Episode VII.
While under LucasFilms' direct control, most EU books and works were
actually considered 'soft' canon, even if some works were slightly less
well respected than others.

I agree it adds a depth and richness to the universe. For example I know
an *insane*( amount about the history of the Jedi Order just from the
EU. Also the information from the EU about the Mandalorians is
fascinating, escpecially how that connect to Jango Fett and the Clone
Troopers :)

LoTR does have a large and diverse universe in which to base stuff and
it's a shame it hasn't been leveraged, but I guess it's up to the IP
holders.

--

Mark Benson