[geeks] Windows 7: unable to install nvidia driver due to c++ runtime error

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Nov 8 16:12:51 CST 2014

On 11/8/2014 3:43 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 11/08/14 14:11, Shannon wrote:
>> I have no idea if this would cause it, but sfc /scannow says that the
>> two nvidia winsxs folders are missing their dll files.
>>
>> I have no idea where to find those dlls or how to write them to those
>> folders (they are protected by trusted installer), but it seems like a
>> problem there might cause nvidia installer to crash.
>>
>> I have read that if you use certain versions of a driver sweeper, it
>> erroneously removes things from the winsxs directory and its backup.
> I'd believe it.  I totally distrust automatic hard disk "cleaners".

Well, I fixed the winsxs error and sfc /scannow is happy... damn nvidia
installer still will not run.

To make things better, neither will a few of the C++ library installers.
They say "cannot contact the installer service" and things like that.

I hate... hate hate hate... the windows installer system.

All I wanted to do today was fire up some racing simulations to practice
and have some fun, but they don't run worth shite with a VGA driver.