[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed May 21 09:26:53 CDT 2014

> On May 21, 2014, at 10:07 AM, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
>
> Notably, gun ownership and violent crime have both been falling for
decades.

> Individual collectors buy a lot of guns, but the number of households
indicating they are gun owners in social surveys is falling.

I think you may be mis-interpreting 'the number of households indicating they
are gun owners in social surveys' - the respondents may not be admitting gun
ownership for many reasons...

In a recent US election exit polls were way off, and the losing party
entertained the idea that this proved voter fraud, until it was discovered
that folks that voted for one party typically associated with older Americans
claimed to vote for the other party, the one typically associated with younger
voters when a young poll worker asked them how they voted. They said what they
thought the pollster wanted to hear, not the truth.

Gun license applications are increasing at previously unheard of rates,
typically as various states consider tightening gun ownership requirements.
People in the US are applying for gun licenses while they can, before it
becomes too hard.

At least, that's how it looks from where I sit, based on what I see and hear
in the press...