[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon May 19 05:07:05 CDT 2014

On Wed, 14 May 2014 21:47:26 -0400, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> And an armed society makes for a polite society.
> >
> > They say that, don't they.
> >
> > It also makes for a sky-high homicide rate, and a lot of dead kids and
> toddlers for no particularly good reason.
> >
> > Plus, as someone who's lived in several countries with fewer than 300
> million guns, I can tell you that, if anything, they are much more "polite"
> than the USA. Not to mention safer.
>
> Interestingly, the District of Columbia has the highest gun homicide rate
> (circa 2010), roughly three times higher than the second highest state...
>
> Guess how draconian DC gun laws are? Very draconian - a TV host was in danger
> of going to jail for merely holding an empty  'hi-capacity' gun clip in his
> hand in a DC TV studio... No gun, just the clip.
>
> Gun-free zones are defense-free zones, and the crime statistics bear that out
> in America.

Hey, I'm a South African. We're like the epicenter of family murders
(where a father kills his family). Never mind Oscar Pistorious. To get
an illicit AK47 here is neither difficult not expensive [1]

But, even I was shocked reading this (admittedly very anti-gun article):
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/guns-bullying-open-carry-women-moms-texas

As an outsider reading about US gun issues, the vitriolic retoric is
sometimes shocking even to those of us who live in parts of the world
with endemic gun violence.

Can Open Carry Texas really send groups carrying semi-automatic rifles
along a busy road? WTF?

Cheers,
Jonathan

[1]