[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:44:59 CDT 2014

According to the Pew Research Center, about 6 out of every 10 gun
deaths in America are classified as suicide. Taking guns out of the
hands of suicidal people won't prevent them from killing themselves,
it will force them to be a bit more inventive about their final act.

Half of all suicides are by gunshot according to the same report.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/05/24/suicides-account-for-most-gun-deaths/

Compared to Canada, where nearly half of all suicides are by hanging (
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-x/2012001/article/chart/11696-02-chart2-eng.htm
).

Canadians apparently off themselves at a rate of about 11.5 per
100,000 each year, where as in America we are slightly worse at about
12 per 100,000 per year (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate ).