[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri May 16 02:11:45 CDT 2014

Which is why I said Atlanta is not a good place to use as a norm until the
accuracy of crime reporting is verified.  If Atlanta is like Memphis, they
will report a higher crime rate because they want to look more successful
at solving crime.  That said, Atlanta may be a norm.  But it has to be
proven before it can be taken as any kind of norm.

A rule of thumb is that Police departments are typical anti-gun and Sheriff
departments are typically pro-gun.  This is true in the Metro Atlanta area
from my experience.

The Metro Atlanta area is rather large.  Kennesaw in the 1970bs was not
part of Metro Atlanta but now it is.  Kennesaw requires householders to own
a gun for home protection.  10 years after that law was in effect, the main
stream media reported that crime was down 90% compared to the year before
the law went into effect.  Gun ownership and presence does deter certain
types of crime.

When the current Tennessee carry law went into effect there was a 9% to 13%
drop in crime in the Metro Memphis.  This was reported for the first year
the law was in effect by the Commercial Appeal.  1/3 of all Tennessee carry
permit holders signed up for the first year were in Shelby County where
Memphis is located.  (25K out of 75K)