[geeks] Plugable USB 3.0 hubs revisited - Mac OS X

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 10:30:49 CDT 2014

I bought a pluggable brand also.  USB 3.0 with 7 ports.  (It has a power
brick so it supplies power to USB devices if they need it.)  When I have a
USB2 device (CyberPower UPS) and a USB3 external drive plugged into the
pluggable-brand hub, it shows both a USB2.0 Hub (with the CyberPower
device) and a USB3.0 Hub (with the external drive).

The USB2.0 device has management through the USB2.0 cable and is always
plugged into the pluggable hub.  I added the USB3.0 device and waited until
the hard drive showed on the desktop.  Then I refreshed the System Info.
and the USB3.0 hub and section was added.

Each device is properly identified.

The USB2.0 device is on the last port (#7) and the USB3.0 device is on port
#2.
I faintly remember something about port usage with the pluggables.  Anyway,
I was taught to place the faster devices on the lower numbered ports and
the slower devices on the higher numbered ports.  So I always have the
USB3.0 devices first.  I have seen having slower devices first cause a
slower speed throughout the entire hub.  Like I say, this may or may not
apply to the pluggable.

I also asked for recommendations and decided on the pluggable.  It has
always worked.  Sometimes I have to unplug and replug the hub (or power
cycle) but not all the time.

HTH