[geeks] DFS and I might not be a smart man

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 13:56:10 CST 2014

This is a little rambly: I apologize.  And it's about Windows: Dave M.
would have a fit and I wouldn't blame him.  But it's Friday and things are
broken and I have no idea WTF is going on ...

I had this project handed to me at work: setup the infrastructure and
servers for Windows, and SAN.  They said 'take the entire month'.  Two
months later ...

Long story short, I've got two AD servers (ad-01, ad-02).  I stood up a
host (dfs-01), mounted the SAN's iscsi LUN, assigned as E:.  Installed the
Windows DFS role.  Setup a few namespaces.

corp.domain.com\intake
corp.domain.com\processing
corp.domain.com\whatever

Setup a GPO to assign drive letters to these namespaces.  A few days in,
machines and people are writing files and things are busy.

Going to dfs-01 file manager, browsing E: I can see the E:\intake and
E:\whatever.  I cannot see e:\processing.

But if I browse to corp.domain.com\processing I can see those files.

But I can see from dfs-01 that those files are _there_ and taking up room.
  I just can't manipulate the files from dfs-01 e:\

I'm aghast: if DFS craps the bed .. I can't get at those files?  Holy heck.

--
Brian Dunbar

"Display some adaptability"