[geeks] "Expanded Universe" of Star Wars, LOTR, etc.

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 02:10:45 CST 2014

On 29/11/2014 17:58, Nicolai wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 12:41:15PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>
> Agreed, but for me I consider the EU to be full canon -- that's how I
> enjoy the stories.  They are well-written, reasonably consistent, and
> faithful to the Star Wars universe.  No other criteria matter to me.

Well I say 'soft' canon only because some works are a bit odd, there
were some conflicting canons, and some are just poor efforts in general
opinion, BUT there  are a lot of really good books, comics and games
based off the universe too.

Bioware's Old Republic is one example, in that framework the EU has
constructed the entire early history of the Jedi Order, the Sith and
indeed the galaxy in general starting 40,000 years BBY and going from
there.

There's also things like Rogue Squadron, Republic Command (although the
books get ridiculous after book 2), various stories about Han Solo,
Bobba Fett etc. which really help build a bigger picture of the Galaxy
above and beyond the Jedi/Sith power struggle.

> The only problem is if Disney's position causes the Star Wars universe
> to stop expanding through tighter control, which would only make SW fade
> more quickly than it would otherwise.  "The more you tighten your grip,
> Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."  This is
> what's happening to LOTR now IMO, which seems to be turning into Mirkwood.

I doubt that's the case, they just wanted to clean slate the whole thing
before Episode VII, I think, because so many EU novels are based
post-Return of the Jedi (and of those a significant proportion are
pretty questionable or bad). Thus they did this to avoid clashes of
canon and the resultant fan backlash. They won't stop creativity
happening because it's making them millions of dollars, to put it
plainly. They just adjusted the rules. Whether that puts authors off is
anyone's guess right now, I guess we'll have to see.

--

Mark Benson