[geeks] fax from Solaris and/or Linux?

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Mon Dec 16 09:38:46 CST 2013

On 12/16/2013 02:28 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> Does anybody have a setup where they can send and receive faxes directly
> from their computer as in not using a printer/fax/scanner?
>
> It seems like sending ought to be possible using a USB modem but I don't
> know about receiving. Any pointers to known-good apps, devices, etc for
> Solaris and/or Linux would be appreciated! Thanks.

Fax over a POTS line is very, very easy on linux.  I used hylafax back
in the day.  Makes fax and email-to-fax really simple.

Fax over IP is really ugly.  There are two protocols: T.37 and T.38.
One is store-and-forward, the other is real-time.  Both are really
poorly supported.

Don't try to fax over a VOIP line.  VOIP codecs are designed to compress
all of your fax data out of the signal.  It's very unreliable.