[geeks] Mac Pro 1,1 slow death (video)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:53:26 CST 2013

I think you are wise to wait, a new Mac Mini is likely to be released in the
next few months (pure speculation on my part), and the newer i5 and i7 CPUs
appear to be worth the wait, if you can.

The Intel HD 4000 graphics are honestly quite good for most users, but that
doesn't mean they are good for you...

Maybe a slightly less capable graphic card would suffice until Apple sees fit
to release their next fen Mac mini, is there a slightly lesser card that is
more affordable? The 8800 may be expensive because 'everyone' wants the best
card available, pushing down the prices of slightly lesser cards as they get
replaced by 'the best'...

As for PCI-X slots, I'm about to buy some PCI-X risers to replace PCI Express
risers in my home lab servers (Dell 1950 and 2950s), to allow me to use my
inventory of older Intel dual and quad Gig NIC cards that are PCI-X. I found a
few PCI-X quad intel cards for $25/ea last year, I'd love to drop them in my
VM servers and have lots of NICs to play with.

Lionel