[geeks] Anyone using Mac OS X Server?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Aug 12 06:48:31 CDT 2013

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013, hike wrote:

> We moved our iTunes collection to a newly acquired Mac Mini and turned on
> Home Sharing.  Sharing iTunes works well enough to be enjoyable listening
> on our iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks.  Plus we "recovered" space on our
> MacBook Air's SSD.
>
> We are considering purchasing OS X Server.  The cost is minimal, $20.  But
> what are the advantages?  We only want to use our Mac Mini on our internal,
> home network.  Is anyone using OS X Server on their home network?  If so,
> what do you use it for?  We also use Ubuntu laptops.  How can the Ubuntu
> laptops use the resources that OS X provides?

I stick with Leopard Server on my G5s.  Snow Leopard server was really the
last good Server release.  I'm using mine for misc. file storage, web
server, OpenDirectory, and a RADIUS server for my WiFi network.

Ubuntu can use samba shares, it can also query its LDAP server.

> Any information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff