[geeks] anyone familiar with Dell's old blade servers ?

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Mon May 7 15:21:21 CDT 2012

My work had several hundred 1855s and 1955s running concurrently. We've
replaced them with M1000e chassis and M6xx and M7xx blades. I have a mixed
1855/1955 system that I use for development work, however, and have had
zero troubles with it... excepting the DRAC.

The Java application and/or the chassis side for the 1855 DRAC is an
absolutely horrid, horrid piece of work. Every time I use it I am left
cursing Dell's name. It doesn't work properly on any even vaguely current
(post 2000) browser, it locks up and dies consistently and I've never
managed to make the virtual media work, ever.
I usually do the heavy lifting in front of it with a plug-into-the-blade
KVM pigtail (which provides 2x USB and SVGA), but I have the convenience
that the blade chassis is 100' away in another office.

(I should note the later DRACs and iDRACs, particularly in the 6xx 7xx
chassis/blades, are truly a delight to work with. I guess it took them
several years to get it right)

 - JP