[geeks] linux box upgrade

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:38:15 CDT 2012

I like Intel solutions, but it is as much from personal experience as anything
else. That said, I would encourage you to consider the following:

I would encourage you strongly to look for a MB that uses DDR3 RAM - if you
can forgo ECC, you can put 16 Gigs on the board (4x 4 Gig DIMMS) for about
$80. ECC DDR3 can be gotten for about $125 - nice options to have.

For CPU, quad core CPUs can be found for $80-120 that will give you impressive
performance for several years of use.

As for Graphics, the latest SandyBridge CPUs include very nice integrated
video - you can always find a discrete video card better supported under Linux
(I defer to others for video card suggestions).

For $300 you can upgrade to an ATX MB, quad-core CPU with 16 Gigs of non-ECC
RAM for about $300:

AMD x4 960 quad-core CPU for $100 -
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0382790

Gigabyte AM3+ MB with 2 PCI slots for $90 ($100 before rebate) (NO on-board
video) -
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0375772

2x 8 Gig DDR3 RAM kits for $30 each -
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360526

You'll need a graphics card to add to the above for a complete upgrade, but
the above comes to $260 w/o tax, s/h so a little left for a 'plain Jane'
workhorse video card if needed.

A similar system can be made with Intel components for similar money, but will
likely include on- board graphics - no need for add-in discrete video card.

Hope this helps,

Lionel