[geeks] job hunt...

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 07:23:13 CDT 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 02:45:54AM -0400, Shannon wrote:
>
>> I got a formal offer for $72K/year, which seems pretty low to me.
>> Is that considered good pay now? I've been working for myself for years
>> now and its possible I'm out of touch, but its pretty easy for me to
>> find part time work at 90K/year.
>>

> It depends on the area.  What you can find for part-time work out there,
> is more than what I'm making after 10 years in the same job in Texas.
>
> Does the job look like fun?  Does it pay the bills?  Do you see yourself
> there in 3-5 years?
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford Houston, Texas

Can you "live" with the people there?
My current job is full of bullies--I've even had physical threats.
My current manager is a liar--promises promotions at the end of two
different projects and nothing is said at the end of the project.
My current manager is an enabler--refuses to discipline the bullies.
My current supervisor is good--he accommodates my requests, lets me "flex"
hours, let me yells (at him, even) when I am irked, and offers some
telecommuting.
My current employer discriminates--against old people and handicapped
people.

Can you "live" in the building.
One worker quit here because of allergies.
Dark office/room?
Decent furniture?
Decent tools and equipment?--I used an old computer for 5 years (years 3-8
of its life).

Can you take the drive every day for the next X years?
The drive is 40-45 minutes each way--I listen to books on CDs as a
productive way to use the time.  (It's Interstate driving with few
cars--and all going the same direction.)