[geeks] Seagate vendor-unique data?

Lex Landa brooknet at imap.cc
Wed Feb 1 23:21:18 CST 2012

Hello Mouse,

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 19:41 -0500, Mouse wrote:

> Whoa!  How?  What form does the connector take?  What protocol does it
> speak?  etc?

Hmm.. I hope that I'm right about this, or I'm going to look a complete
fool.  Looks as if certain Seagate drives have a 'terminal mode' for ya
typical low-level diagnostics.

> Where'd you discover this?  I'd like to find out more!

http://forum.hddguru.com/seagate-terminal-commands-t6411.html

.. and ..

http://forum.javaxtreme.org/showthread.php?t=103

> > I don't think that they're quite at the level of running a bash
> > shell, though.

> Eww, I wouldn't want bash on there anyway.  Maybe the ADVENT shell.

Not some sort of OpenBoot-like FORTH thing?  But no, ADVENT would be
good - it's a nice API.

> You see three reallocated blocks here.

> GET BLOCK
With some effort, you manage to pick up block 291440.

> THROW BLOCK
The block sails majestically through the air, landing in an unallocated
area on the other side of the platter.

> EXAMINE AREA
Which area, the reserved area, unallocated area or manufacturers' known
defect area?

> KNOWN DEFECT
The drive is ashamed to admit that sectors 3154881 through 3154885 are
unusable.

> DRIVE, SPIN DOWN
Are you sure?  I won't be able to communicate any more.

> YES
As you wish.

<whirr... k'clunk..>

You scored 127/192, giving you the rank of Advanced Tinkerer.  Play
again?