[geeks] Seagate vendor-unique data?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Feb 1 18:41:36 CST 2012

> I found out something useful while I was searching, and that was that
> you can 'talk' to such drives (all ATA, or maybe SATA or SCSI?) with
> a simple serial link.

Whoa!  How?  What form does the connector take?  What protocol does it
speak?  etc?

Where'd you discover this?  I'd like to find out more!

> I had no idea that the drives had enough intelligence for a command
> line interface.

Given how much jiggery-pokery they do already, I'd be surprised if they
didn't have that much intelligence.  (It doesn't take much, by modern
standards, after all.)  I am somewhat surprised there's actually code
in there to give them anything anywhere near a CLI, though.

> I don't think that they're quite at the level of running a bash
> shell, though.

Eww, I wouldn't want bash on there anyway.  Maybe the ADVENT shell.

You see three reallocated blocks here.
> look at blocks
They are numbers 47188, 291440, and 347111.
> examine block 47188
It appears to be an ELF header.  Do you want to see details?
> no
Very well.
> examine block 291440
It looks like binary data; I can't make head nor tail of it.  Do you
want to start the hex block editor on it?
> no
Very well.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign