[geeks] Q: Cable modem failing?

francini at mac.com francini at mac.com
Thu Dec 27 13:59:02 CST 2012

If the signal strength reads low you may need to have them come out and replace any outside-the-house connectors and/or splitters. They do go bad after a while.

If the signal strength reads good -- rain or no rain -- it's likely the cable modem beginning to fail. I had the same problem with an older DOCSIS 2.0 Motorola modem; it required a therapeutic reboot every few days towards the end of its life. Replaced it after about 6-7 years. Besides, if you replace it with a DOCSIS 3.0, you'll be ready in case you decide to go to a higher speed tier that can't be delivered through a 10/100 Mbps port.