[geeks] Q: Cable modem failing?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 13:02:03 CST 2012

Thanks to both of you - I'll check the signal strength a few times and see
what I can figure out.

We have had a fair amount if rain these past few days... It would be nice if
that was the issue (assuming Comcast will be willing to juice up the signal if
needed)...

Lionel

On Dec 27, 2012, at 1:39 PM, francini at mac.com wrote:

> The address is 192.168.100.1.

> On 27 Dec 2012, at 12:33 , Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:
>
>> On 12/27/2012 11:56 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have a plain, old, Motorola Cable modem (SB5101, Docsis 2.0), and it
seems
>>> to have started having problems.
>>>
>>> This is a 7 year-old device, and what I am seeing is that Internet speeds
will
>>> slowly degrade to the point it is unusable, then rebooting the cable
modem
>>> sets things right for 24-48 hours it seems.
>>
>> I had similar problems when my signal quality had been degraded by rain
damage to cabling. When the signal was good, the modem would correctly
negotiate a high speed, but when the signal was bad, it would negotiate down
and stay there.  When rebooted during a "good" spell, it would briefly be
faster.

>> ISTR that all Motorola modems have a user-reachable diagnostic page on
192.168.something, and that will show you the SNR at any given time.