[geeks] FYI - very nice price on a 1U Intel server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 08:22:17 CST 2012

Dell has some off-lease servers available that have some very nice specs
for the price (IMHO), I thought some here might be interested.

The units have dual quad-core Xeon CPUs running at 2.5 GHz (L5420 Xeons), 8
Gigs of RAM (2x 4 Gig, with what appears to be four open RAM slots on the
MB), and a 250 Gig SATA HD.

The chassis has (I assume) a non-redundant PS, but it includes 4 SATA trays
in it's 1U chassis.

The price is $212 (with free ground S/H), BUT if you use promo code
"Save30%Now" the price drops to about $150 - plus sales tax.

Website: http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/ - click on servers (there were
about 8 left when I looked earlier - Note: the 30% discount code works on
any item in the refurn store, incl. laptops, desktops, monitors, etc.)

This server appears to have been a custom/non-standard build for a large
customer for use as a compute cluster node? Web server front end? It ships
without rails, and, like some rackable brand systems it MAY ship without a
top.

I know occasionally folks here are interested in such deals. and dual quads
for $150 w/8 Gigs RAM in a 1U chassis w/ four hot-swap bays could make a
nice small storage array.

I've ordered one, but there are many unknowns at this point (what is RAID
controller, memory used, expansion slot technology, does it have a DRAC,
etc.).

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com