[geeks] router confusion...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Dec 4 14:06:40 CST 2012

On 12/04/12 14:15, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 08:59:15 -0500
> Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
>
>> One word (well, acronym):  DD-WRT.  Makes life much better.
> Or https://www.openwrt.org/

I got soured on OpenWRT the first time I tried to install it, when I ran
into a problem, went to the official OpenWRT support channel, and found
everyone in the channel was too busy jeering at the "n00b" and
congratulating themselves on how 'leet they were to actually provide any
assistance.  I eventually managed to unbrick my router without their
help, erased everything related to OpenWRT, reflashed the factory
firmware, found and downloaded DD-WRT, flashed that, and it "Just
Worked" on the very first try.

This is why I have ever since recommended DD-WRT over OpenWRT.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.