[geeks] router confusion...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Dec 4 07:47:05 CST 2012

On 04-Dec-2012 08:04, Shannon wrote:

> I have 2 LANs, one "outside" and one private.
>
> They are currently bridged with a simple router.
>
> Basically it looks like this:

[ huge snip ]

Well yep... I am tired.

I forgot that on the Netgear units you cannot disable the routing
function if you use the modem port. The router is forced to resolve the
conflict by searching for an unused network for the modem port.

I wish they'd give you a function to let the modem port act as part of
the switch, but it could be a chipset limitation they can't do anything
about.

In any case, to configure as a WAP, plug the configuring computer into a
port and your switch or current router into another port, the LAN ports,
not the modem/router port.

Oh well, at least posting made me think about what I was doing wrong.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]