[geeks] router confusion...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Dec 4 07:04:28 CST 2012

I have 2 LANs, one "outside" and one private.

They are currently bridged with a simple router.

Basically it looks like this:

INSIDE (192.168.1/24)                   | OUTSIDE (192.168.2/24)

   [machines]
        |                               |
[HP 1800G 24 copper/fibre gig switch]
                  |                     |
        [SMC550 secure router] <-- routed link --> [Netgear N600]
                                        |                 |
                                                   [cable modem]

There are 15+ year old legacy reasons why it is set up this way, and the
SMC550 is still used for VPNs and other secure connections.

I recently got an iPad, and it connects to the N600 just fine. However,
that means it cannot see my internal machines like my Mac and Solaris
servers to pick up email accounts and such.

So... I dug up an older Netgear N300 to see if I could use it to give
wireless access to the 192.168.1/24 network.

I set it up and plugged its modem port into my switch. Just figured I'd
see what it would do by default. It got an IP address on its LAN port of
192.168.2.1 which I believe is the default when first setting it up.

My Solaris machine gave its modem port 192.168.1.242, and configured its
default routers and everything correctly.

I configured WPA2 security and put the password in my iPad, and it
connected instantly at 108Mbps, so I was pretty happy. The iPad could
use my Solaris machine as proxy to reach the world and see my internal
machines.

However... something is clearly wrong.

The router will not respond on 192.168.1.242 despite listing that as its
address and my Solaris machine saying that is correct. The router
responds instead to 192.168.2.1, which is the LAN port address default
for setup.

My iPad connects as 192.168.1.242, the address the router says belongs
to it.

I know this router is not really this kind of machine, but I was able to
do that with my old Linksys without issue, and also with DD-RT firmware.

I'm really tired so maybe I'm missing something really obvious. I don't
see how the router can respond as 192.168.2.1 without the LAN ports
connected to the switch, or why the iPad is showing up as the router.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]