[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:54:41 CST 2012

That seems like an 'unbalanced' system way more grunt (CPU & RAM) than
graphics.

A few years ago, a popular PC magazine ran some tests and found that beyond a
certain point it was better to invest in a graphics card over RAM. The
conclusion was that based on the design of windows, almost everything throws
up some graphics, and that many systems spend a lot of wait states waiting for
the graphics card to 'catch up' to the CPU.

That may not be a general bottleneck on a *nix box, but when running such a
graphics-intensive application I can see that happening

Lionel