[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Dec 2 21:26:37 CST 2012

On 02-Dec-2012 20:28, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On 12/2/2012 7:48 PM, Shannon wrote:
>>
>>> Curious, what did they drop from the iMacs that can't be added back
>>> in again
>>> via TB?
>> Internal optical drives, more than 1-2 hard drives, better graphics, an
>> external monitor (I don't want one built in I can't upgrade or fix).
>>
>> Also there is the form factor: its basically a monitor. That's a pretty
>> serous flaw if you want a different monitor and only have room for one.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, the iMac is a fine machine, if you can live with its
>> characteristics. I would certainly consider one as a secondary machine.
>>
>> The problem is for those of us it isn't a match for, there really isn't
>> much except overkill high end or weak low end.
>>

> I think that the majority of people complaining about the Apple product
> line would be happier if the Mac Mini had all the graphics options of
> the current iMac line.  This might not make you happy since you would
> still not get an internal optical drive or more than 2 internal HDs, but
> you would at least get better graphics choices and your own external
> monitor.

Agreed, it would at least make the machine usable for what I want to do.

I also would put a second drive in it, then my dual drive bay which I
already have anyway because I actually want that mobile.

More memory, at least 16GB. My Mac Pro has 8GB and struggles because of
it... I just hesitate to upgrade it until it passes a few weeks without
issue. Even then, its money into a dead end.

> A quadcore mini with 32gigs of RAM and Geforce 650 or 675 graphics would
> make me pretty happy.  I might want more expansion, but if I at least
> had the choice of Radeon or Geforce graphics still, then I could live
> with TB for all other expansion.

Or for that matter, it would not be a large machine at all to let us
plug in a PCIe card.

Tim Cook has already done a few "Apple will never" things since Jobs
died, so hopefully he'll bend here too.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-keys which had a name of 0x5936BC24.asc]