[geeks] Replacing a Mac Pro 2006

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Dec 2 19:28:44 CST 2012

On 12/2/2012 7:48 PM, Shannon wrote:

>> Curious, what did they drop from the iMacs that can't be added back in again
>> via TB?
> Internal optical drives, more than 1-2 hard drives, better graphics, an
> external monitor (I don't want one built in I can't upgrade or fix).
>
> Also there is the form factor: its basically a monitor. That's a pretty
> serous flaw if you want a different monitor and only have room for one.
>
> Don't get me wrong, the iMac is a fine machine, if you can live with its
> characteristics. I would certainly consider one as a secondary machine.
>
> The problem is for those of us it isn't a match for, there really isn't
> much except overkill high end or weak low end.

I think that the majority of people complaining about the Apple product
line would be happier if the Mac Mini had all the graphics options of
the current iMac line.  This might not make you happy since you would
still not get an internal optical drive or more than 2 internal HDs, but
you would at least get better graphics choices and your own external
monitor.

A quadcore mini with 32gigs of RAM and Geforce 650 or 675 graphics would
make me pretty happy.  I might want more expansion, but if I at least
had the choice of Radeon or Geforce graphics still, then I could live
with TB for all other expansion.