[geeks] Looking for a Modern Motherboard w/ Dual Floppy Support

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Thu Apr 12 17:50:09 CDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:46:10 -0400
> "J. Alexander Jacocks" <jjacocks at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I specifically need to create images from, and write images
>> to Amiga, Atari ST, Apple II, and Commodore 64 disks.  Several of
>> these platforms have alternate tools (ADTpro, Amiga Explorer,
>> ZoomFloppy, etc.), but I'd like a universal solution.  And yes, in
>> addition, I'd like the ability to read/write both 3.5 and 5.25" PC
>> floppies.
> OK. Commodore 64 calls for somthing like DiscFerret. AFAIK normal
> PeeCee floppy controlers can not generate the GCR encoding that the
> 1541 uses.
>
>> And, I've found the same.  However, I don't _really_ know what
>> DiskFerret's capabilities are.  It's hard to decide to spend money on
>> something, when you aren't sure it's even designed to do what you
>> want.
> The DiscFerret is a freeware / open source project. It lives from the
> support of its users. As I understand it: It is not that much of a plug
> and play solution. It is a construction kit, a base from which you can
> develop your own solution to fit your special needs. You are expected
> to tailor it to your needs. Though, there seems to be a supply of ready
> to use solutions to some common problems. As far as I understand
> DiscFerret, you can do _anything_ and _everything_ with it.
>
> About the cost: The PCB costs #25.00. At least for me that is low
> enough to just give it a try. If it doesn't fit your needs, well, resell
> it. I am sure you will get much of your money back.

It's definitely my hope that DiscFerret will grow into the kind of
tool that I need.  It'd be perfect, hardware-wise, if so.  However,
I'm not a developer, so there's not much I can contribute to the
project, in that manner.

I've gotten a hold of a slightly newer Pentium 4 machine (Shuttle
SB61G2 v4).  Unfortunately, that machine has the 2nd floppy drive
disabled in the BIOS.  I really don't understand why a manufacturer
would do that.  Anyway, I have Award BIOS editing tools, and am
attempting, so far without success, to re-enable the floppy drive
option.

So, while I will likely get a DiscFerret, at some point, a PC
motherboard with a standard dual floppy controller is closer to what I
need.

- Alex